We look forward to welcoming you to campus, and helping you become comfortable within your new community.

The staff at The Lillian and Emanuel Slutzker Center for International Services is dedicated to the support and success of all international students at Syracuse University. The Slutzker Center’s multicultural, multilingual staff have assisted thousands of students from around the world, and are ready to help you with travel procedures, immigration documents, living arrangements, and more. Please check the Slutzker Center website on a frequent basis prior to leaving for Syracuse to ensure you are making the necessary preparations.

Immigration Regulations

Strict U.S. government rules and regulations will apply to you during your stay in the United States. It is your responsibility to learn and comply with the regulations.

If you have been accepted by more than one American university and receive a Form I-20 or DS-2019 from each of them, you must apply for your visa using the form issued by the university that you plan to attend and you must enter the United States using the same form. In addition, information is included with your admission packet referring to the SEVIS fee payments made by F-1 and J-1 students. If you are transferring from another U.S. school, you do not have to pay the fee if your SEVIS record is transferred to Syracuse University. If this is your first entry into the U.S. as an F-1 or J-1 student or if your SEVIS record is not transferred, then you must pay the fee prior to your visa interview.

SEVIS Transfer

You must follow SEVIS transfer procedures if you are currently studying in the United States in F-1 or J-1 student status and want to have your SEVIS record transferred from your current school to Syracuse University. After you submit the SU Transfer-In Form to the Slutzker Center, a transfer I-20 or DS-2019 form will be prepared for you based on the transfer release date you provide on the Transfer-In Form. The SEVIS transfer process must be started before you leave the U.S. if you plan to travel outside the U.S. before coming to Syracuse University.

When You Arrive

When making your travel arrangements for Syracuse, be aware that you may enter the U.S. no more than 30 days before the program start date noted on page one of your I-20 form or in item 3 of your DS-2019 form.

If you arrive in Syracuse by plane, train, or bus, taxi service is available from the Syracuse Hancock International Airport or from the William F. Walsh Regional Transportation Center (train and bus terminal) to the University. Taxi service costs approximately $30.

Check in at the Slutzker Center after you arrive in Syracuse. The Slutzker Center is open Monday through Friday, from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, during the academic year. During the summer, the Slutzker Center is open from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. The office is also open the weekend before classes begin.

International students who have registered for the International Student Orientation prior to arriving in Syracuse are automatically registered for early move-in to their residence halls.  You may be required to pay a daily fee if you move in to your residence hall before Tuesday, August 22, 2017.

Please check the Slutzker Center website for more information about arrival before you travel to Syracuse.


U.S. Immigration regulations restrict employment opportunities for international students. Most F-1 and many J-1 students are allowed to work on the Syracuse University campus, but employment is limited to 20 hours a week during the academic year and only a limited number of positions are available each semester.

After you have been in the United States for one academic year, you may be eligible to apply for permission to work in your field of study. Curricular Practical Training, Optional Practical Training, and Academic Training provide authorization for F-1 and J-1 students to gain practical experience with a U.S. employer. However, there are restrictions on this type of work permission. Do not assume that you automatically qualify.

University Vacations

There are two times during the year that the residence halls are closed and all residents must temporarily depart. The first time is during the period from the end of the first semester (fall) to the beginning of the second semester (spring). This is typically from mid-December until mid-January. During this time you must make your own living arrangements. The second time is between the end of the second summer session and the beginning of the fall semester. This is from the end of the second week of August until the end of August.

Temperature and Clothing

Syracuse is located in the northeastern part of the United States and temperatures vary greatly during the year. During the summer the temperature may go as high as 32 degrees Celsius. During the winter there is a lot of snow and temperatures average about –14 degrees Celsius. When the wind blows, it feels much colder.

Students from other countries sometimes wear their native clothing but also have other clothing for colder weather. Students generally dress casually for comfort and warmth. Jeans, sweaters, and sweatshirts are the normal attire in the fall and winter. Every student needs a heavy coat, snow boots, a hat, and warm gloves. In warmer weather, both women and men wear cotton clothing and light-weight jackets.

In general, American students dress very informally, although there are occasions when you need to look more formal. Blue jeans are the most popular item of clothing for both women and men.

Since American clothing costs are high, you should bring much of what you’ll need with you. However, you may want to buy your heavy winter clothing in Syracuse. You should bring about $500 to buy clothing.

Religious Programs

Hendricks Chapel is the center of spiritual and religious life at the University. The interfaith chapel is host to many diverse traditions. The Chapel also provides programs for community service and the arts.