How do I apply if I am a dual citizen?

If you have citizenship in the United States, as well as other countries, you should apply as a U.S. citizen.

If I am not a U.S. citizen, but I live in the United States and go to school here, am I considered an international student?

Yes. You would be designated international if you are a non-U.S. citizen or non-U.S. permanent resident, regardless of where you live or go to school.

If I am in the process of obtaining permanent residency/green card, how do I apply for admission?

If you have been issued a document showing approval of permanent residency status, you may apply as a domestic applicant. Please inform Syracuse University of your immigration status, including either a copy of your green card or of the document showing approval of your new status, by emailing If you have not yet received approval of permanent residency, then please apply as an international applicant. If your status changes at any time during the application or review process, please email so that your application can be changed from international to domestic.

What is the minimum preferred TOEFL/IELTS score?

Please visit Admissions Requirements.

I attend an American high school (or college) and have been taking classes taught entirely in English. Do I still need to take the TOEFL/IELTS?

All students whose native language is not English should take either the TOEFL or IELTS test as part of the application process. The TOEFL or IELTS requirement may be waived in certain situations. The decision to waive the requirement will be based on the strength of the student’s academic performance and the type of courses taken. The decision to waive the standard requirement is at the discretion of the Admissions Committee.

What types of financial documents are necessary to submit as proof of sufficient funding?

Please visit Admissions Requirements.

How many international students are at Syracuse?

Approximately 14 percent of all students at Syracuse University are international. Approximately 10 percent of undergraduates are international.

What kinds of resources are available to international students?

Please visit Support Services.

Is housing guaranteed for international students?

Housing is guaranteed for all first-year international students. Additionally, international students are offered an early move-in option which allows them to move into their new residence hall before the rest of the University community arrives on campus.

What are the tuition rates for international students?

Please visit Cost of Attendance.

What tests do I need to take?

The SAT/ACT is not required of any student studying outside the U.S. and currently enrolled in a school that does not follow the American system of education (including U.S. citizens living abroad).

You must take the TOEFL or IELTS if English is not your first language. In addition, we will consider results of the PTE Academic for English proficiency.

*Please note, prospective Division I student athletes must take the SAT or ACT in order to meet NCAA eligibility requirements.

If my native language is English, am I still required to take the TOEFL/IELTS?

The TOEFL/IELTS requirement will be waived if your native language is English. Should you apply to Syracuse University, you should indicate this on your application or e-mail after submitting your application.

Do you have conditional admission at Syracuse University and what does that mean?

International applicants can be granted Conditional Admission to Syracuse University if the academic requirements for admission have been met, but there is insufficient English proficiency and/or insufficient financial support. Conditional admission will only be considered for students who have submitted a TOEFL or IELTS score, even if the score does not meet the minimum requirements in the chart above.

Conditionally admitted students will be considered fully admitted to the University and issued the SEVIS I-20 form (the form that is needed to obtain the F-1 Student Visa) once the University receives English proficiency credentials and/or the proof of sufficient funding. Space is not guaranteed during conditional admission.

If I am a conditionally admitted international student who does not meet the minimum TOEFL or IELTS requirement, do I need to attend the English Language Institute (ELI)?

If you do not meet the minimum required TOEFL or IELTS scores, you are eligible to attend the English Language Institute (ELI). Students who attend the ELI will be conditionally admitted to the University until they pass level 4. The ELI is not required of conditionally admitted students, but is the alternative option for students who do not wish to retake the TOEFL or IELTS. In addition, we will consider results of the PTE Academic for English proficiency.

Is there financial aid or merit-based scholarships for international students?

Merit scholarships are very limited for international students.  All admitted students will automatically be considered for awards. Limited need-based awards are offered to students who are selected by the Office of Admissions and who demonstrate financial need through the College Scholarship Service (CSS) International PROFILE Application.

Any international applicant who requires an F-1 Student Visa to come to Syracuse is required to submit documentation that demonstrates the ability to fund his or her education for one full academic year. Visit the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services for information.

How do I transfer credit for academic classes I have taken outside the U.S.?

If you have done academic work outside the U.S., you must also provide us with official academic credentials as well as English translations of the documents and course descriptions. If only one document is available, notarized or certified copies of the original document will be accepted. If translations are needed, it is your responsibility to have your credentials translated by a reputable translation and evaluation service. Syracuse will not provide translations for the student.

When will I get my I-20?

After you are admitted to the University (for conditionally admitted students, this means after the condition has been met), your SEVIS I-20 will be mailed to you. If you are attending secondary school or college in the U.S., your current school must “release” you from the I-20 you are currently using. Then, Syracuse University will issue you a new document. For more detailed information, please visit Student Visas and Immigration.

Is there a separate international application?

International and domestic students must both use the Common Application. There are supplemental forms that are only required of international students. Please visit the section on  International First-Year Applicants or International Transfer Applicants  for a list of items needed to complete your application.

Can I use tobacco on Syracuse University’s campus?

To help ensure a healthy, productive, respectful environment, Syracuse University is pleased to provide a smoke- and tobacco-free campus. Learn more.