Tell us your interests.
Out and About in Syracuse
Once known for salt, industry, and a prominent role in the Underground Railroad, this plucky mini-metropolis is a colorful fusion of distinctive neighborhoods, year-round festivals, plentiful parks, professional sports, destination shopping, and a thriving art, music and social scene.
There’s always something to do:
- Stroll down to Marshall St. on the edge of campus to grab a bite to eat with friends or catch an away SU game.
- Head to Armory Square to enjoy one of the many boutiques, cafes, and coffee shops.
- Visit Green Lakes State Park and do some hiking or cross-country skiing while you look for Dead Man’s Reef.
- Check out a performance at Syracuse Stage, one of the city’s numerous arts and entertainment venues.
- Take a drive to the lakeside village of Skaneateles (“skinny-atlas”) for some light shopping and R&R.
- Indulge in a helping of Utica greens and chicken riggies in Syracuse’s Little Italy.
- Attend one of the many festivals, including the Crawfish Festival and Winterfest, in downtown’s Clinton Square. You can also ice skate there in the winter.
- Test your endurance at the Mountain Goat Run, 10 tough miles up and down the hills of Syracuse. Do you have what it takes?
- Go to just about any restaurant in Syracuse for a heaping portion of salt potatoes.
- Do you love to shop? Do you hate to shop? Either way, you’ll love Destiny USA, the sixth largest shopping center in the country. With more than 260 retail venues, this mega-mall also features an indoor go-cart track, a mirror maze, IMAX and RPX movie theaters, a ropes course, and 30+ places to eat.
- Venture to the Tipperary Hill neighborhood for an authentic Irish meal.