Tell us your interests.
This section outlines what you need to do to complete your application if you will be an incoming first-year student and are not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
Syracuse University has a long tradition of welcoming international students to its campus, and we are eager to expand the cultural diversity of our student population even more.
Interested international applicants should view or download the Viewbook for International Students (PDF).
To be admitted to Syracuse University, international students must:
- Demonstrate sufficient academic preparation to achieve success in their studies at SU
- Demonstrate the ability to pay for all educational expenses.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the English Language.
Items to Complete Your Application:
- Online Common Application
- Application Fee
- Official Academic Credentials
- Two Academic Recommendations
- TOEFL or IELTS required (if English is not your native language). The SAT/ACT is optional for some international students; for more information, see English Proficiency Requirements.
- Financial Support Information Form
- Any items submitted by mail should be sent to the appropriate mailing address.
- The SAT/ACT is optional for international students studying outside the U.S. and currently enrolled in a school that does not follow the American system of education. Although we do not require the SAT or ACT to to be considered for admission, we encourage all students to submit scores if available.
- *Please note, prospective Division I student athletes must take the SAT or ACT in order to meet NCAA eligibility requirements.
- When you have chosen an enrollment option and intended program of study, it is time to begin the Common Application.
- Once the above items are completed, please review our College Requirements to find out if you need to submit any additional materials (portfolio, audition, etc).
- Ensure that all your transcript/academic credentials are submitted by mail. Please review our Credentials Requirements for more details.
- Submit all required Proof of Funding financial documents and the Financial Support Information Form. (Non-U.S. citizens/Non U.S. permanent residents only)
- Review all Visa and Immigration information.
- For more details about these items, review our Requirements for International Applicants.
- If you have further questions, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for International Students.
- If you will be applying to Syracuse University under Early Decision, then you must complete and submit the Early Decision Agreement through the Common Application or complete and mail in the ED Agreement PDF. As an Early Decision candidate, you agree to enroll at Syracuse University if admitted to your preferred college. You may apply to other colleges and universities through regular decision with the understanding that you will withdraw these applications if admitted to Syracuse University.
- If you will be applying to The College of Arts and Sciences and wish to be considered for the Discovery Florence or Strasbourg first-semester study abroad program, then you must complete and submit the Discovery Application Supplement. Due to Italian Visa application requirements, students applying to a Discovery Program for the fall 2014 semester must be at least 18 years of age by July 1, 2014.