Tell us your interests.
As a student of printmaking, you will learn the full spectrum of the trade before deciding on an individual specialty. The program’s students enjoy a curriculum built on both traditional printmaking skills and new technologies that combine digital applications and mixed media. Syracuse University’s printmaking major offers the opportunity for concentrated study through studio work in relief, intaglio, lithography, silkscreen, letterpress printing, hand papermaking, and book arts – preparing students for careers in fine arts, graphic design, fashion design and craft artistry.
Core coursework covers studio art, composition, and art history. Sample courses include:
- Introductory Intaglio
- Introductory Lithography
- Hand Papermaking Workshop
- Hand Paper Print/Book Workshop
- Media Arts Techniques
- Intermediate Serigraphy
The Printmaking program offers multiple learning resources and experiential learning opportunities for students as a supplement to the coursework.
- Participate in an Art in New York City, MAYmester course.
- Work with master printmakers and artists as part of the Vibrant Visiting Artists Program.
- Enjoy the fully-ventilated, 6,400-square foot facility which includes six etching and lithography presses, a hand papermaking lab, typography and computer labs, and a resource library.
- Participate in events, field trips, and demonstrations related to printmaking as a member of the Graphic Arts League.
Strengthen your resume and broaden your perspective with a study abroad experience during your time at Syracuse. Consistently ranked among the top 25 international education providers in the U.S., SU Abroad offers more than 100 programs in 60 countries. Printmaking students often go abroad in Florence, Italy.
Life after Syracuse University
With a degree in Printmaking you can become a:
- Master Printer
- Studio Owner
- Commercial Artist
- Museum Curator
Or, pursue your graduate degree in art leadership, business, or art education. Past graduates have continued their education at many of the top graduate schools in the U.S.