Tell us your interests.
As a student of Physics, you’ll learn how to study problems from the scientific perspective, using experimentation, simulation, and analytical tools. The curriculum is structured to provide a deep understanding of the makeup of the world around us including the universe at its largest (astronomical) scales and at its smallest scales (atoms and subnuclear particles).
You’ll work in state-of-the-art laboratories equipped with advanced instrumentation and enjoy small-group instruction with a distinguished faculty, along with the chance to participate in a variety of active and exciting research groups. Graduates of the program leave with a strong ability to make an impact on the field and the community.
Core coursework covers general physics, nuclear physics, and relativity. Sample courses include:
- Our Corner of the Universe
- Solar Energy Science
- Vibrations, Waves & Optics
- Advanced Mechanics
- Soft Matter
To supplement the coursework, the Physics program provides a number of experiential learning opportunities.
- Get involved with the Society of Physics Students, a student-run organization that coordinates events featuring invited speakers.
- Volunteer at the Syracuse Physics Demonstration Facility and build display demonstrations.
- Participate in faculty research or arrange Independent Study to a specialized topic outside of the standard curriculum.
- Challenge yourself as a Renée Crowne University Honors student.
Strengthen your resume and enrich your experience with a semester abroad. Consistently ranked among the top 25 international education providers in the U.S., SU Abroad has more than 100 programs in 60 countries. Physics students are able to go abroad to a number of centers including those in Santiago, Madrid, and Florence.
Life after Syracuse University
With a degree in Physics, you’ll be prepared for a range of careers, including:
- Aerospace Engineer
- Materials Scientist
- Elementary, Middle, or High School Teacher
- Mechanical Engineer
Or, pursue a graduate degree. Recent graduates of the program have attended many of the top graduate schools in the U.S.