Tell us your interests.
The Art Video program allows students to explore the use of video as a medium for creating contemporary art. The major’s multidisciplinary approach allows for opportunities to interact with fellow students majoring in computer art and animation, film, and art photography. Beginning courses examine technical principles, the complex nature, and the power of video. You’ll have access to digital video and audio facilities and equipment, as well as opportunities to screen your work in the community. At the end of your four years, you’ll be ready to pursue work in the film industry, make video and multimedia for professional artists, or have careers in web design, videography, and game design.
Core coursework is centered on studio concepts, interconnected studios, and transmedia. Sample courses include:
- Transmedia Synthesis
- Video Sketchbook
- Studies in Art Video
- Advanced Post-Production Techniques
- Video Art History
Art Video includes a number of outside learning opportunities for students in the program.
- Take advantage of dynamic internship opportunities including those with Sundance, Cannes Film Festival, and NBC Universal
- Embrace coursework and internship experience with a six-week summer class in Los Angeles
- Network with visiting speakers from DreamWorks, Pixar, Blue Sky Studios, and Disney
- Contribute to student-run publications and organizations including 360 Magazine, Citrus TV, and Comm.Unity
Challenge your perspective with a study abroad experience during your time at Syracuse. Consistently ranked among the top 25 international education providers in the U.S., SU Abroad offers more than 100 programs in 60 countries. Art Video students generally study abroad in London, Prague, Florence, or Santiago.
Life after Syracuse University
With a degree in Art Video, you can pursue careers including:
- Film Maker
- Video Editor
- Multimedia Designer
- News Videographer
Or, continue your educations and earn a graduate degree in business, design, or film. Past graduates have gone on to many prestigious graduate schools in the U.S.