Tell us your interests.
As an Advertising major, you’ll explore the many facets of communication that comprise advertising – copywriting, media planning, strategy, and research – while creating professional ad campaigns and presentations. You’ll choose an emphasis that aligns with your interests to prepare for a career with an ad agency, or in corporate communications, government, or non-profit organizations.
- Integrated Advertising Campaigns
- The Big Idea in Advertising
- Conceptual and Creative Thinking in Media Planning
- Introduction to Graphic Design
- Diversity and Media Issues
- Portfolio I, II, and III
- Advertising majors have access to more than 40 student-run media organizations, including the Daily Orange newspaper, magazines, a TV station, radio stations, and PR and advertising agencies.
- Join TNH, an award-winning, student-run advertising agency and a student chapter of the American Advertising Federation.
- Advertising executives and other practitioners come to campus to share their experience and insights
- The Eric Mower Advertising Forum supports a speaker series that provides practical, workshop-oriented interactions with industry professionals.
- Hands-on internships in Syracuse, New York City, Los Angeles and across the county.
Broaden your perspective and enhance your resume with an international experience through SU Abroad, with more than 100 programs in 60 countries. Public communications courses are offered in London, Beijing, Madrid and Strasbourg.
Life after Syracuse University
As a Newhouse graduate with a major in Advertising, you can explore such careers as:
- Advertising Account Manager
- Art Director
- Advertising Sales
- Creative Director
- Market Research Analyst
- Media Buyer
- Media Planner
Students are prepared to work in their chosen profession upon graduation. With the help of the Newhouse Career Development Center, which offers career support to Newhouse students and alums, over 80% of Newhouse graduates are employed within six months of graduation.